Monday, August 4, 2008

Paul James - Master Gardener

Most "TV" gardeners will know who Paul James is. I love this guy! He is funny, I have learned so much from him, and he is a "master gardener" so he knows his stuff. He's been on HGTV for some time, but unfortunately they've moved his show around so much I can only catch it once in a while now and usually in the early early morning. Most of what I learned about gardening I learned from him, along with a few other of the tv gardeners.

These days it's hard to find any real gardening shows on TV so we are left on our own to figure things out. But AHA! There is always the internet! A plethora of information! And my 2nd resource when I can't find Paul! But there is nothing like Paul James and his "Gardening by the Yard" to keep me totally interested in tv for 30 minutes. I wish they'd bring him back during the waking hours!

One of the most interesting things I learned from him a few years ago was making and using "compost tea". This is a water based mix made from compost that is SO nutritious for your garden! I've included a link to compost tea for you to look at and see how to make it.

If you're not into making compost tea (it is a little messy), The Happy Gardener has some wonderful products that are great for your plants. One of our best sellers is "Foliar Feed" for both indoors and outdoors. It's an excellent plant food that, rather than having to apply weekly like most plant foods, you only apply monthly. Some of the benefits of Foliar Feed include:
  • micronutrient foliar spray
  • increases photosynthesis
  • enhances plant color & vigor
  • for use with glossy leaves
  • available in 32 oz ready to use bottle

Spray directly on leaf. Apply monthly

This is what makes "Happy Naturals" products from The Happy Gardener an economical choice. You could spend a fortune buying products at your local nursery that require feeding daily or weekly. With Foliar Feed, since feeding is only once a month (even in the growing season), the food goes alot further than a weekly product.

So check it out when you have time. Go to http://www.thehappygardener.info and see what I'm talking about. If you'd like to place an order, just email me and I will be happy to help!

Happy Gardening!

Lore

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
I learn something valuable each time I watch your show. Thanks so much for sharing your passion and knowledge.
I am working towards being a "greener" thriftier, more self sufficient gardener. I really took to heart the advice you offered in one show to "feed the soil" and improve it. To that end, I now have a worm composting bin for kitchen scraps, and I bought a composting leaf vacuum for shredding small waste to add to my modest compost pile. I live in Southern California, in Long Beach in a residential suburban neighborhood - my yard is a good size for the area comparatively. However I don't have a really big space for a compost pile. I would like to add woodier waste, tree prunings, twigs, small branches, etc. to my compost or shred it small enough to use as ground cover. We really need to conserve soil moisture in this region! However, I don't quite know how to do this, except by hand with clippers which is tedious and ineffective. Is there a home-sized kind of shredder or mulcher that can handle tougher stuff than the leaves and grass I shred with the mulching vacuum. (it's a blower with a vacuum attachment and a small plastic rotating blade inside).

Any advice you can offer would be good. I hate to put all that green waste into my trash cans, but the chunks as too big for my modest compost pile.
Thanks in advance, ~Rebecca A. Behar Johnson