Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fall


Fall seems to be arriving a bit early for my garden this year. My purple plum tree in the front has already lost about half its leaves. That usually doesn’t happen until about October. I know, October is only a couple of weeks away, but believe me…this is early in the season for that tree to lose its leaves.

My other plants, mostly in containers, seem to have given up on flowering with the exception of my Egyptian star cluster and my Bird of paradise. The Star Cluster still has gorgeous red star shaped flowers on it and my Bird of paradise actually had 3 blooms on it! (I’m still excited about that!)

So my garden is winding down a bit, although here in San Diego, you can pretty much garden all year long.

I was watching Paul James’ “Gardening by the Yard” a week or so ago (at 5am mind you!), and I saw this great product that I’ve asked my husband to build for me. It’s a "Knox Garden Box" (http://www.knoxgardenbox.com/) and I’d never seen anything like it before. It essentially is a raised garden container, big enough to grow veggies in and high enough to avoid stooping over to care for it. Since I have perennial back trouble, this was very attractive to me! So we are going to try to build something similar and I already have plans for what I will put in it. Food! Yep, I’m going to try growing food items other than tomatoes. I’ve grown carrots and green onions in the past along with garlic. The garlic and green onion did great, but the carrots not so great. And of course you know I’ll be using my products from The Happy Gardener! With the great quality of Happy Gardener products, I know I’ll have happy veggies that will make me very happy!

Today I am off to the Farmer’s Market to check out their fresh produce. Bye!

Happy Gardening!

Lore
Independent Garden Consultant
The Happy Gardener



1 comment:

Lucy Corrander said...

I'm having trouble with feeds to PICTURES JUST PICTURES .

Followers cannot access it at present through their Google Dashboards and it isn't possible to click to the blog through Google Readers either. I'm assuming people using other Readers will be experiencing the same problem.

Please excuse this format message - but I'm cutting and pasting it to 'Followers' and to other people who have left messages on PICTURES JUST PICTURES from time to time.

When I have worked out what to do - I will. Meanwhile, I will continue to post daily.

You can either use this link PICTURES JUST PICTURES or click through from the sidebar of LOOSE AND LEAFY.

Internet Explorer Bookmarks still work

(Members of Blotanical may sympathise if I say 'Isn't it Wonderful!')

Lucy Corrander